Life finds a way - follow-up


Some time ago I had posted about growing vegetables from cuttings (asexual propagation).  I wanted to let you know where I was at with my "experiment".

If you recall I has started fennel, cabbage and celery.  Here's the good and bad news........

I have successfully transplanted the cabbage and celery (yay!) but the fennel was finicky and decided not to sprout any roots.  Sadly the fennel and I parted ways.  I think in the end what did the fennel in was that it was sitting in too much water so it started rotting.  I will try this again and will try to create a humid environment without sitting the cuttings in water.  I may also try coating the base of the plant with a thin layer of honey as this is supposed to be good at protecting the cutting from rotting.  Back to the drawing board for this one.

Not to fear though I replaced the fennel with garlic, red onion, green onion, Savoy cabbage, red cabbage, romaine lettuce and Bok Choy.  

I have since potted the celery, cabbage, and red onion, the green onion is fine in a glass of water as I just cut the tops off when some is needed for whatever I am cooking.  Not to worry though once the ground thaws and I have planted my garden, I will be transplanting these to a pot to give them rest and let them enjoy some much needed nutrients.

I know when I first started this project well over a month ago I had my doubts, but now I have to admit, I am converted.  I do think that if you want fresh all year long, even in the depths of a never ending polar vortex, you can have it, you just have to try.  Let me share some of the most recent photos of my indoor garden.

That's garlic pushing it's way through the dirt!


Red onion growing strong!


Savoy cabbage, only a week old and is well on its way!
Red cabbage, a new addition exactly 2 weeks old and looks like it will do well.


Romaine lettuce is coming along nicely!


Bok Choy only a week old and is starting in high gear.


This cabbage is growing like wildfire, soon we'll be eating fresh cabbage.



I've been picking off the leaves of my very aromatic and versatile friend, celery!  Now that it's potted it is growing quickly!

Here are some final thoughts that may help you along in your quest to becoming a true locavore. 

  1. I am finding above all that patience is key to getting these cuttings to do what they need to.  Sure I could use products to encourage root formation but like anything, I think it's best to let the cuttings decide when they're ready.  
  2. The trick to keeping your cuttings healthy is to change your water often (every other day if possible). Keep your cuttings sitting in water at all times (okay maybe not fennel), not too much but just enough to cover the base so that the cuttings grow roots. 
  3. Most importantly monitor, monitor, monitor, your eyes and nose won't lie to you.  If it stinks it's rotting, if it looks like it's forming roots it probably is.  Transplant into a clean pot with nutrient rich soil to ensure your plant grows healthy and strong. 
  4. Keep your indoor garlic separate from your outdoor garlic.  Why?  Garlic may carry disease.  If you transplant to your garden you risk infecting your whole supply.  
  5. Last but not least, enjoy a glass of wine, relax and grow, grow, grow! 

Comments

Popular Posts