New Year Simple Garlic Coleslaw

It's that time of year again when we wrap up Christmas with New Year's celebrations.  I am thankful that 2014 is coming to a close and that we can begin 2015 with a clean slate.  Don't get me wrong I am grateful for so many things this year, the addition of some new garden space, my family and friends, my successful gall bladder surgery, my youngest daughter's graduation from high school, my "coming soon" newest niece, new friendships, etc.

On top of it all, I am also blessed to have made a wonderful friend this year (I will call her "G") who is an absolute gem.  She is somewhat older than me, but to listen to her you'd think she was 40 years old.  I love that she is quick witted, humorous and boy, can she cook.  In a way she reminds me a little of Oprah Winfrey, Tina Fey and of Paula Dean all rolled up into one package.  Her outlook on life is contagious to say the least and there is never a moment where she isn't laughing, smiling or building others up.  She's truly is a blessing this year.

So in honor of "G" I am sharing her recipe for a coleslaw that she made for me this year with the optional addition of pine nuts.  I am a pine nut freak and love them in coleslaw and salad.

Coleslaw Mix

1.5 cups finely shredded green cabbage
1.5 cups finely shredded red cabbage
2 large carrots, grated
4 green onions finely chopped
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)

Dressing

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp salad dressing
1-2 tbsp white vinegar (this depends on your taste)
1-2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic crushed

Prepare the coleslaw mix, except the pine nuts, and place in a large bowl.  Blend all the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over coleslaw mix to coat.  Garnish the coleslaw with the pine nuts and refrigerate.

This coleslaw has a stupendous flavour if made 24 hours in advance, however it can be made the same day you will be serving it.  I have made it four hours before a dinner and the result is still to-die-for amazing.

This works very well with pork or beef and I would think would be delicious if done up with pulled pork in a wrap.  Is anybody else getting hungry, or is it just me?

Enjoy!






Comments

Popular Posts