What to do on a cold Sunday afternoon

If there is something I totally detest besides waste, it's being bored.  So today to break the boredom, due to the never ending polar vortex, I decided to use up the cream in the fridge.  First I started my day by making butter.....some of you probably think that this is nuts, but if you've never tried it, don't knock it.  After the butter and with plenty of cream left I decided to make another ice cream. (more on this another day)

Everybody else around here gets worried when I say I'm bored because it's a crap shoot as to whether I will want to deep clean the house, start another d-i-y project or if I will cook.  Once they figure out what type of bored mood I'm in usually determines how fast they scatter to the four corners of the earth, or if they scatter at all.

I have been making butter for a few years now, it started out as a fun family project and blossomed into a "hell why not" routine.   I watch for the sales and can usually pick up a litre of cream for about $2 if I play my cards right.  Yes the cream is usually only a few days away from expiration but if I make all my butter the same day I buy the cream and freeze it, we end up with a lot of frozen butter to use up throughout the winter and I won't be paying almost $5 for a pound of butter when I need it.

Making butter is pretty easy and takes maybe 10 minutes from start to finish to whip up a batch.

Start by setting up what you will need:

Strainer
a large bowl of ice water
salt
bowl for buttermilk
air tight container
Either a mixer or jar for making the butter
heavy cream at room temperature
saran wrap / plastic wrap

Directions:

Start by pouring your cream into your mixing bowl.  Place plastic wrap over the top of the bowl to stop the buttermilk from splashing everywhere, and begin mixing on medium to high speed.

For the purposes of these photos I kept the plastic wrap off.

Within the first couple of minutes you will already begin to notice a difference in the consistency of the cream.


Continue blending and very quickly you should see the fat beginning to coagulate:




You're not to far off from butter at this point.....and there it is.


Now the next steps are very important as they ensure that you don't end up with rancid butter after a day or two.  Watch the video:


This is how much butter I got from my batch today:


Now if you're smart or lucky you will have home baked bread or some other goodies to spread this on.  If you would rather store it for later, cover with air tight lid and freeze.

As for the buttermilk that you are left with, you can freeze this too or use fresh for buttermilk biscuits or some other pastry delicacy.  You can also drink this up if you would like, it's really quite good!

One other reminder / warning butter can be addictive so please spread responsibly!  :)

Enjoy!



Comments