Macaroni, minions and the meal....

As I was sorting through the pantry today I discovered a box of macaroni.  And then I got a hankering for macaroni and cheese.  


Sure I could make a box of convenient store bought mac and cheese but it doesn't compare to homemade. On top of that my family prefers homemade over boxed any day of the week.  Sure homemade is not unnaturally orange but I guarantee it will be far more satisfying.

Most traditional recipes call for nutmeg, I prefer nutmeg in just about anything else but my macaroni so I have developed my own flavorful recipe. 

While it is delicious, it can be time consuming so I suggest getting all the ingredients ready before you start making your sauce.  If you have a minion or two handy (kid's or adults) have them give you a hand. 

Preheat your oven the 350 degrees.

Prepare 5 cups macaroni, cooked to al dente and set aside.

Here is the ingredient list:
  
5 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 cup flour
3 1/2 cups milk + 1 cup 18% cream (or you can just use milk)
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 cups cheddar cheese (or whatever you prefer)
1/2 cup panko 
parsley for garnish
paprika for garnish

In a large skillet or high sided sauce pan melt the butter, add the garlic and sautee for about a minute.  Add the flour and whisk.  Cook this for about a minute whisking constantly so the mixture doesn't burn.  

Slowly pour in the milk and cream.  Keep whisking to avoid lumps.

Once the mixture has thickened remove from heat and add the sage, thyme, smoked paprika, celery salt, salt and 2 cups of the cheese.

Pour this mixture over the macaroni and stir until it's coated evenly.  Put this into a greased 13 x 9 pan.

Top with the remaining cheese, panko, paprika and parsley.

Cook this in the oven at 350 for about 30 minutes.  

Et voilà, your mac and cheese is ready.  Serve with whatever your heart desires.  Enjoy!

Here's our meal from tonight.......






Comments

Popular Posts