Rumor has it, I didn't have dinner with Adele



Sometime ago I had invited my sister Adele and her family over for dinner.  I spent the better part of the week banging my head against the wall trying to think of something unique and delicious to prepare, and then  it finally hit my like a bolt out of the blue;  

Pork loin, infused with garlic and encrusted with Cajun seasoning served with barbecue sauce, a fennel orange salad and fresh homemade German inspired bread.

I was drooling at the very thought of a juicy Cajun pork loin and inspired by a fennel orange salad, and I couldn't wait to play chef to my sister, but it wasn't meant to be.  Yesterday my sister let me know that they couldn't stay for dinner due to a last minute commitment they couldn't get out of. 

There I was standing in my kitchen with all these great images of the culinary masterpiece I had only dreamed about, thinking that I would have to wait to prepare this meal for some special company.  Then, of all things, Erma Bombeck popped into my head, and I remembered something that she said a long time ago "I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage." 

My mom was a huge Erma Bombeck fan and I was the disinterested teenager who wasn't, but for some reason this is what came to mind.  So I consider this meal to be my pink candle sculpted like a rose, and to my mom (Irma) and Erma B, this one's for you ladies, wherever you may both be.

The barbecue sauce was made using Chef Emeril's recipe:

http://www.rd.com/food/food/emerils-homemade-bbq-sauce-and-creole-seasoning-recipe/

I didn't change anything, but I will tell you it is very sweet.  Next time I will use his recipe as a guide and I am going to switch the ketchup out for tomato paste.  I will probably fiddle with the sugar amounts a little so my sauce doesn't end up too acidic.

For the pork:
I brined my pork for about 2 hours then rinsed it and then made cuts into the meat and put half a good sized clove of garlic into each slit.  I then rubbed down the entire pork loin with the Cajun seasoning from my dirty rice post.  I put the pork onto a grill in my roasting pan over water and roasted on slow low heat for about 2 hours.

For the salad I followed this recipe:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/10327/orange+fennel+salad+with+orange+vinaigrette

Was it good, yeah but I find that the amount of onion is too much and the fennel should really be served warm not cold.  I will also be making changes to this recipe if you can't tell.

On to the bread.....I used a basic white bread recipe and then changed it up to pair better with tonight's meal.

Here's the recipe

2 cups warm water
2 tsp yeast
2 cups white flour with 1 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup molasses
2 tsp carraway seed

In a large bowl add yeast to warm water and let sit for 5-10 minutes.  When the yeast has activated slowly begin to blend in the flours, molasses and carraway seed.

Once everything is nicely blended, cover the dough and set aside to double in size (about 30-45 minutes).  Once doubled remove from bowl, knead on a well floured surface until dough is baby soft to the touch.  Once this is achieved roll into a ball and place on a baking sheet.  Cover and let rise again, about 20 minutes.

Once the dough is ready for baking brush the surface with olive oil.  This keeps it from getting too crusty.  Bake at 425 for 30-40 minutes.

When it's done, let cool slightly and serve with fresh butter.....Yummy!

Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts