Meat loaf, who?



What is it about a good meat loaf that is such a comfort food?  I don't know about you, but when I think back to my childhood I didn't like meatloaf.  To me it was a big brick of tasteless meat floating around in a sea of fat. 

The only Meat Loaf I liked was the singer, everything else was "gross".

However, through the years (somewhere between there and here) I have discovered that not all meat loafs are the same, and depending on your experience level your meat loaf will only get better and better.  Mine has gone from a grayish brown lump of cooked beef into a real treat. 

This is an easy "asian" inspired recipe and I guarantee you'll be confident enough to serve this to company.


1 lb extra lean ground beef
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 large onion, finely diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

additional hoisin sauce


Blend all ingredients together and loosely pack into a loaf pan. 

Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes.  Remove from the oven and drain off any juices. 

Move the meatloaf from the loaf pan and place on a baking sheet.   Top with additional hoisin sauce and place back into the oven. 

Bake for another 5-10 minutes.


Slice to the thickness of a deck of cards and serve with a fresh salad.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts