Ode to the Canadian Prairies, Saskatoon berry style

I decided today I would try oven roasted endive.  Now that everything is said and done, dinner eaten, belly sufficiently satisfied, I have to say it's not my favorite.

Don't get me wrong it does have a mellow enough flavor, that is until you get down to the base.  It's quite juicy and tender for sure, but it is way too bitter.  So now I am challenging myself to find a way to cook the endive where the bitterness is removed or at least less pronounced.

Next time I may try to brine the endive first, or salt the base, to pull some of the bitterness out....either way it's something to think about.

Now as for the rest of the meal, it was a definite winner.

What did we eat, you ask?  Let me show you.....


Consider this my ode to the Canadian Prairies, Saskatoon berry style.  Steamed asparagus and venison sausage (homemade) with a Saskatoon berry sauce.

While I can't share the recipe for the homemade sausage, as it belongs to the in-laws, I can share the Saskatoon berry sauce which goes so well with the venison sausage and will be an excellent compliment to a venison tenderloin.

Here's how I did it:

I cooked the sausage in a skillet in the oven, when it was just about cooked through, I moved it on to the stove top and finished off the sausage by searing it on medium high heat.  Then I removed the sausage from the pan and added the following:

3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp bacon fat
1/3 cup sweet onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, finely diced

I cooked this until the onion was translucent.  Once the onion was cooked I added the following:

A splash of balsamic vinegar
1 cup of wine

I let this reduce then added:

1 heaping teaspoon of Ligonberry sauce (from Ikea)
1 cup of Saskatoon berries

I warmed the berries through and once the mix was frothing I added a heaping tablespoon of butter.

I removed from the heat and served with the venison sausage.

Final thoughts:

This sauce pairs so well with the venison and it's a great way to eat wild game and local berries.  I also think you could use any berry jelly you have on hand.

As always, enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts