From Canada with love......simple asparagus soup

Today I decided to make an asparagus soup for something fresh, green and healthy to slurp up while spending the evening watching our Canadian athletes perform.

I intentionally saved the cut ends from last nights dinner so I could make this soup.  Now reality is that I have never made an asparagus soup from just the base of the plant before, nor have I ever made asparagus soup, so this was either going to work or be an utter failure.  Needless to say the soup was a definite success as there are no leftovers to be had.

I've been thinking about why this recipe worked and I figure it's because we all know what we like and what we don't like.  The common bond world over is that our taste buds don't lie.   While there are many different variations of this soup, at the end of the day I just went with what I felt would taste good and what I knew my family would be willing to try.

So here it is, from Canada with love, simple asparagus soup:

1 litre chicken stock
2 cups water
2 tbsp Epicure chicken bouillon, heaping
2 bunches of asparagus bases
1 tsp curry
salt and pepper to taste
bacon
smoked cheddar or parmesan
table cream



In a large stock pot, bring all your ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the asparagus has softened.  Once softened use a hand immersion blender to puree the asparagus.

Top with bacon, sliced smoked Cheddar or Parmesan and pour in a small amount of cream, about a 1/4 cup.

Serve with an open faced grilled cheese.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts