Divine cream of mushroom soup

Homemade cream of mushroom soup.  Have you ever heard of anything else so divine.  I guess if your not a mushroom lover, this would turn you off, but if you are....well let's just say you'll never buy canned cream of mushroom soup again.

I was given a recipe from a friend about a year ago and then misplaced it.  It was a very good soup so I tried to come up with my own version the first time I made it, some from memory the rest I made up as I went along.

Since the first batch I have found the recipe and mine is not too terribly different than his, good to know that my memory is pretty spot on.

This recipe calls for 3 different varieties of mushrooms.  I always use white button mushrooms,  portabellas and either shiitakes or oysters but I say use what you like because not all mushrooms taste the same.

Note: Remove the stem of the shiitakes as they are tough.  Don't forget to clean the mushrooms thoroughly.

This recipe is adapted from Wilson Agawin's mushroom soup recipe.

1 medium sweet white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs assorted mushroom, sliced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2  cup white wine
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
4 cups chicken stock (homemade preferred, if not, low sodium from the store)
1/2 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp basil
2 cups table cream
salt & pepper to taste

In a large stock pot sautée mushrooms, onion and garlic in olive oil.  When mushrooms are cooked through add white wine and let cook down.

Move all the mushrooms to one side of the pot, melt the butter and add the flour.  Whisk to ensure that a lump free roux is achieved.  Let the roux cook for a minute or two to cook out the flour flavor then slowly add the chicken stock.  Continue to whisk to ensure that the stock and roux blend well.

Once the stock and roux are blended let it boil gently for about 7 minutes then add the thyme, basil, cream and salt and pepper.  Let the soup simmer for an additional 15 minutes then remove from heat and serve.

Serve with bread, smoked aged cheddar or garnish with garlic pesto.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts